[Wine] (Still) no printing possible in wine 0.9.15

Sven Rudolph sven at spaghetticode.de
Thu Jun 22 17:34:28 CDT 2006

Hello List,

since my first posting with the same subject was somehow incomplete, i
decided to repost my question.

I just installed wine-0.9.15, because I wasn't able to print with
wine-0.9.8, but unfortunately the problem persists.

My systems:

Workstation:
Gentoo 2006.0
Cups-1.1.23
no /etc/printcap
no local printer connected

Print server:
Gentoo 2006.0
Cups-1.1.23
Printer: Canon i560

The effective use flags for wine are:
USE="X alsa arts cups esd gif jack jpeg ldap ncurses opengl oss truetype
xml -debug -glut -lcms -nas -scanner".
So wine is compiled with cups support.

Printing on my workstation works very well from any application (even lpr on
the command line), except wine.
When I try to print from a wine application, e.g. notepad, my printer named
i560, which is NOT connected locally, but to my print server, shows up in
the print dialog properly. But when I click the OK button just nothing
happens.

This is what i do in detail:
- remove ~/.wine
- run winecfg from xterm
  winecfg complains about printer problems, but continues:

  wine: creating configuration directory '/home/sven/.wine'...
  To use WINEPS you need to install some AFM files.
  fixme:winspool:AddPrinterW DocumentPropertiesW on printer 'L"i560"' fails
  To use WINEPS you need to install some AFM files.
  wine: '/home/sven/.wine' created successfully.

- create a text file test.txt in ~/.wine/drive_c/ containing "This is a
test"
- open test.txt with notepad from xterm
- try to print the file, printer dialog shows up, but no button
has any effect, except "Cancel". Everytime i press "Properties" or "OK" the
error messages

"To use WINEPS you need to install some AFM files."

or

"fixme:commdlg:PRINTDLG_UpdatePrintDlgW No lpdm ptr?
fixme:commdlg:PRINTDLG_WMCommandW Update printdlg was not successful!"

show up in my xterm.

All my AFM files are in /usr/share/fonts/Type1. I also have
gnu-gs-fonts-other and gnu-gs-fonts-std installed. So I think missing fonts
can't be the problem...

I searched Google-Groups and found some postings about these or similar
error messages. Most of them saying "Update to a newer version", on of them
saying "It works when you remove gimp-print" and one (Huw Davies) saying
that this is a bug that was fixed in wine-0.9.

None of these hints was of any help for me, and since wine switched from
config files to registry, searching for misconfigurations is a real pain,
if possible at all.

Wincfg has a lot of options, but none of them seem to be related to cups or
printing, so now I'm stuck.

Maybe wine is generally unable to print, if the printer isn't connected
locally? (I believe not)

Can somebody please help me with this problem?

Thanks in advance
Sven Rudolph