[Wine] Re: Winelib Getting Started 1.3.2. Test Drive

Dee Ayy dee.ayy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 00:29:27 CDT 2006

It appears that 2 above average users replied directly to me and not to the
list.  Interesting since your steps complemented each other.  Thank you, you
anonymous heros.  But I think the entire list would have benefited since 2/3
of you replied without sophomoric l33t remarks.  Maybe the intention of the
1/3 was to welcome me to the list with a trolling attempt.  I will let my
post and his reply speak for themselves.

To those who are helpful:
Well wine-0.9.15 failed to build on AMD64 Ubuntu running VMware Player
running Intel x86 Ubuntu.
Due to one of the helpful replies, I noticed that wine-0.9.15 had something
new in that release for the Mac.  I didn't even know Wine proper was
available for the Mac.  I thought I'd have to wait for Darwine.  As building
on the Mac is my ultimate goal, I tried it.  Running ./configure on the Mac
instructed me to make some changes.  Then the build and install went well.
But the existing notepad did not run.

Anyway, wine-0.9.16 builds and installs on both the above platforms.  But
when I try to make notepad2, they both fail at the same point with:
winegcc -c  -mno-cygwin -I.  -o dialog.o dialog.c
winegcc -c  -mno-cygwin -I.  -o main.o main.c
wrc  -I.  -foBg.res Bg.rc
Bg.rc:21:24: (Ubuntu: Error: syntax error) (Mac: Error: parse error)
make: *** [Bg.res] Error 1
Do you have any advice for me here?

>From the notepad2 directory, I ran "wine ../notepad/notepad.exe.so" on both
platforms.
I got:
err:imagelist:ImageList_ReplaceIcon no color! (4 times)
Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded. (2
times)
(Ubuntu) The X11 driver is missing.  Check you build! (2 times)
(Mac) Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set
correctly. (2 times)
Do you have any advice for me here?  It's been ages since I had to set the
DISPLAY, and never on a Mac.

wine-0.9.15 fails to make notepad2 on the Mac in the same way as on
wine-0.9.16 on the Mac (Bg.rc:21:24: Error).

Anyway, my ultimate goal is to build a console (non X11) application on Mac
OSX and I need to link with a 3rd party .lib which even statically linked
uses a dll.  I learned this week that that is not a contradiction in terms.
Are there any console apps to test in the programs directory?

Is there anywhere specific I can find instructions to build my own console
app that needs to link (statically or dynamically) against a 3rd party .lib
and run it while having the .dll available?

Although things have not gone smoothly, I'm going to continue with Chapter 2
of the Winelib User's Guide.

Regards.