[Wine] Re: How to install programs in wine?

Vincent Povirk madewokherd+d41d at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 21:53:01 CDT 2006

> There are three windows partitions on this machine besides the linux one.
> The wine c: points to HDA1. There is a real windows directory there, but
> it doesn't show up in terminal when looking at wine.
> Maybe the multiple partitions (on two physical drives) are throwing wine
> off?
You should really let Wine use the c: directory that it creates. I
don't think using another drive as c: is really a supported setup (in
fact I've heard running things from vfat partitions is known to cause
weird problems and suspect ntfs could do the same).

Wine comes with its own windows directory, its own dlls, and its own
programs that you shouldn't mess with (except on occasion if it
doesn't happen to provide some dll or you have to to get some program
to run).

Some people like to copy program files directly from a windows
partition and try to run them. That doesn't always work, much like
copying program files from one windows machine to another doesn't
always work (often the program relies on something like registry
entries, and if this is the case then there's no way wine could run it
properly). That's why the documentation says to run the installer on
wine.

Otherwise, creating drive letters for your other partitions shouldn't
be a problem.

If you want to start over, you can always rename your .wine directory
to something else and it'll make a new one.

--
Vincent Povirk