[Wine] office xp on fedora 4

Michael Edwards miedward at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 11:01:14 CST 2006

If you check the app database on winehq you will notice that Office XP
is not well supported by wine.  It works reasonably well on Crossover
Office, at least it installs easily and it generates readable
documents.  It is not without its peculiarities.

As far as setting up wine and getting programs to run, in my limited
experience it is not a trivial mater to do by hand for most
applications.  Only the apps marked as Gold on the app DB are known to
run "out of the box".  I believe Office 2000 is the most recent
version of Office to be marked as gold.

I personally have had better results using winetools to set up wine.

There is also a newer version available as source code (0.9.8) which I
haven't tried Office XP with.  The "redhat" rpms are a bit behind the
curve currently.  I sent the maintainer an email about helping rebuild
the rpms to the current source versions, but I haven't gotten a reply.
 Lost in the spam box I am guessing :)