[Wine] New to WINE

Joachim von Thadden thadden at web.de
Fri Mar 3 01:17:30 CST 2006

Am Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 07:41:24PM -0500 schrieb Jacob Tennant:
> I am new user of WINE and need a little help.
>
> 1. From the best I can tell I have everything configured correctly.
> However I can't figure out how to get a Windows screen to show up.

There is no Windows screen. You run a Windows app by calling (not as
root)

wine progname

from a terminal window. For example

wine winefile

will run wines builtin file manager. To install a program you would
like to use

wine setup.exe

Everything else (like mapping of linux directories to windows drive
letters) can be read on the wine documentation at winehq.org. If you
don't like to hassle with the wine configuration your can also use one
of the automatic installers: WineTools or Sidenet. There is also
"Frank's Corner" which is a good starting point for manual
installations.

A note to the automatic installers: They heavily change the default
Wine-Setup so you will very likely not get any help from the
Wine-Developers, but probably from the developers of these tools (for
WineTools me on this list or directly).

Regards
	Joachim von Thadden
          Never run a touchy system!!!"