[Wine] I need to make some comment on WineTools

Wim(Linux) willem.arckens at pandora.be
Sat Mar 4 10:27:46 CST 2006

I can agree with this; I have only one windows program that I can't
replace with a linux variant, and this program relies on parts of IE to
display results of a template. I have a workaroud by going to Konqueror, a
couple of mouseclicks more; but when asked the community for help all I
get is "use winetools", "use sidenet", "go to Francks' corner", or the
nasty ones "why the hell would you use IE?" I don't, I'm an Opera user
since 10 years or so, first in Windows, now in Linux. In the mean time all
suggestions ended in errors or freesing programs to get IE. So I live
without IE and with spectacles.

Op Fri, 03 Mar 2006 23:34:29 +0100 schreef Philip V. Neves
<pneves at telus.net>:

> I just red the article on the website about winetools.  This is
> controversy is a non starter in my oppinion. I believe that something
> like winetools should be included in the wine distribution to begin
> with.  It should be something under the control of the developers
> themselves and bug reports should be added to fix any problems. Why did
> it take someone outside of the wine development team to do this. For the
> average user we don't want to have to make a gazillion changes in
> winecfg. You guys are always adding new features or making changes. I
> want to just get something going not get stopped at the door by a huge
> barrier to entry.
>
> If the development team had such a tool it could make test releases and
> production releases. The production release would have the right
> combination of native libraries and windows DLLs installed to get things
> going.  While the test release would be used for people who want to
> test. I think this would be an excellent compromise here. This way the
> development of winetools and wine will go in the right direction to a
> final working system. Furthermore.... IE is a necessary part of windows
> now. Functionality for it needs to be in wine. Its not something that
> can be disgarded or ignored. Allot of applications use IEs DLL's and
> functionality these days. So its intrinsically part of the windows API.
> You won't get 100% compatibility without the functionality it offers.

Met vriendelijke groeten
Wim