[Wine] Problem running applications - Newbie

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Mar 6 11:55:06 CST 2006

On Monday 06 March 2006 17:04, Matías Gutiérrez Reto wrote:
> I'm new to wine and I'm running wine version 0.9.2 on Fedora Core 1
> and I have the following problem:
> I install any windows application from its installer (setup.exe or
> similar). Once installed, in order to run it I need to go to the directory
> where the aplication is installed, for example
> cd /root/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\MiniReminder
> And then run the application, for example:
> wine "MiniReminder.exe"
> The problem is that when I try to run any application from outside of its
> directory it doesn't work. Or if I make a shortcut from winecfg to the
> application exe file the same thing occurs. The applications seems not
> to detect where ini or cfg are installed.
> Does anybody have any idea?
> Does anybody knows any wine tutorial oriented to newbies?
> Thanks in advance, regards,
> Matías

Hi Matias. In addition to what Anand said about running as root. I wonder if
you made the same error as I made post install of Wine. I was still at root,
and ran wincfg, which put the .wine directory in /root. Thinking back, I
think I just deleted the .wine directory in /root, then ran again, but as
user, winecfg. This will then put the .wine directory
in /home/<username>/.wine , where it belongs.

If your not sure how to remove it from /root . Either use KDE's superuser
filemanager, or on the CLI.
rm -f -r /root/.wine
-f is force (when it's gone, it's really gone)  -r is recursive and removes
directories (not needed if just removing files)

All the best. Nigel.