[Wine] Re: VDQ : Have I made a wine's nest? -- Update

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Fri Mar 10 16:04:16 CST 2006

Beartooth wrote:
> Incidentally, I also get
>
> [root at localhost ~]# file /dev/ttyUSB0
> /dev/ttyUSB0: character special (188/0)
> [root at localhost ~]#
>
> which appears quite analogous to the results for tty, tty1, etc.
>
> I plugged the adapter that goes between a serial cable and a USB port into
> one, did /dev/ttyU* again, and got the same again, on both. So I tried it
> again, with the serial cable and a live GPS on the adapter. Still none.
>
> Do I need to add a couple of lines to /dev/? Can I simply command "nano -w
> /dev" and type onto the bottom? Or What??

The files in /dev are special, so you don't use an editor. Instead they
can be created individually with the command "mknod". The man page is
pretty good for that. For example, to create the /dev/ttyUSB0 device
file to match the results you showed above, the command would be:

mknod /dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0

> Why isn't the machine seeing it
> own hardware, that's been there since I got it, months ago? Or seeing it
> one way, but not another??

Well, I don't really know when/how the /dev/ttyUSB* devices would be
created; they are not there on my FC4 system. I notice that I do have
/dev/usbdev*, with the only difference being that they have a "major"
number of 189, instead of 188 that you listed above. Those numbers have
something to do with the driver used to handle the device.