[Wine] Debugging an application crash

James E. Lang jelly at ktb.net
Fri Mar 10 19:12:04 CST 2006

Walt Ogburn wrote at 22:59 on 13 Feb 2006:

> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, James E. Lang wrote:
>
> > The problem with this answer is that I cannot supply sufficient information for
> > anyone else to debug the crash if I cannot even display anything more than I
> > showed in my original posting to this thread. I can't tell the author of the
> > Windows application what went wrong and I can't tell anyone on the Wine project
> > what went wrong.
>
> To get any useful information out of the debugger, you'd have to do a lot
> more work (and it might not work with your RPM installation, so maybe
> you'd have to build wine from source).
>
> If you can give instructions on how to reproduce the bug, that's the most
> useful thing.  If possible, give instructions on where to get the software
> (best if it's freely distributed) and how to make the problem come up.

I'm sorry, Walt, that my response has been so slow. I can't give instructions
on how to reproduce the bug(s) since the crashes are rare and I have no clue
what triggers them. The software is Pegasus Mail (PM). It is indeed freely
distributed though the source code is tightly held by the programmer. I'm using
PM 4.31 which is available at http://www.pmail.com/downloads.htm

My latest problem appears to be a perfectly normal termination of PM running
under Wine 0.9.9 except that it is triggered by PM sending mail (Send mail and
watch PM terminate!). This behavior is very consistent when running PM under
Wine 0.9.9 but it does not not occur when running PM under earlier versions of
Wine (e.g. version 0.9.8).

--
Jim