[Wine] winecfg fails to open X window

Ivan Kautter ivankautter at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 13 17:31:18 CST 2006

List serv subscribers,

I am relatively new to Linux and of course this is my first time using Wine.
  I get this error message when trying to run winecfg:

err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin
L"winex11.drv": libXxf86vm.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory
err:imagelist:ImageList_ReplaceIcon no color!
err:imagelist:ImageList_ReplaceIcon no color!
err:imagelist:ImageList_ReplaceIcon no color!
err:imagelist:ImageList_ReplaceIcon no color!
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin
L"winex11.drv": libXxf86vm.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory
Application tries to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly

Echoing $DISPLAY gives me this:

:0.0

X Server is indeed running otherwise I would not be using a browser to post
this.  Do I need to further specify the DISPLAY variable in this manner:

localhost:0.0
or
a variant of this with the full host and domain names specified???

I am assuming this is the problem but I am in no way certain of this.  I
have seen this kind of error reported in starting up winecfg for the first
time but with no resolution of the problem that I have seen.

I also did a find for the dll that it claims that it cannot find and indeed
it cannot be found:

find / libXxf86vm.so.1

find: libXxf86vm.so.1: No such file or directory

Also did find / libXxf86vm.so* and find / libXxf86vm.so

This would also seem to be a serious problem but perhaps I searched for it
in an inappropriate manner.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.  If you can, post your explanations with
the assumption that I am a newbie as I pretty much am.  Thanks for your time
and attention.

Ivan Kautter