[Wine] A day of trying to get something to work

James E. Lang jelly at ktb.net
Wed Mar 22 02:58:51 CST 2006

Hiji wrote at 11:19 on 21 Mar 2006:

> Not everything is going to work.  Make sure you 1)
> have the latest Wine installed ...
>
> --- TR <tmst at nethere.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, after spending a day of working with trying to
> > install an assortment of
> > programs on my Wine installation for SuSe 10.0, ...

My advice to someone who wants to use Wine is to find the latest version of
Wine that supports the application(s) for which you *need* it and refuse to
allow so called security fixes that simply revert Wine to an obsolete copy if a
working recent version also plugs the security hole. When new versions of Wine
are released and as you have time, try them. It is my experience that you can
easily revert to the version you were using previously in case anything gets
broken by the newer version.

With SuSE it is not always easy to use a recent Wine release. I also use a SuSE
distribution (9.3) and I use Wine (0.9.8). In order to keep using a recent
version of Wine I must avoid loading the "security update" that SuSE keeps
trying to feed me. it is the 20050211 snapshot and is being supplied under the
guise that it plugs the WMF vulnerability. The reason that I use Wine 0.9.8
instead of a newer version is that Wine is supporting Pegasus Mail (PM) on my
system and both Wine 0.9.9 and Wine 0.9.10 cause PM to shut down when the
message composition window gets closed. This issue has been mentioned on the
Wine developers list.

--
Jim