[Wine] ~/.mime.types - format conflict with standard /etc/mime.types?

Peter Valdemar Mørch swp5jhu02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Mar 28 04:18:55 CST 2006

Hi,

It seems that wine (or rather cxoffice) installs a non-standard
~/.mime.types file, and that makes other programs (e.g. lynx) die. Is
there a bug here? Whose?

Its format differs from /etc/mime.types (from the mime-support package
on debian etch):

#  Users can add their own types if they wish by creating a ".mime.types"
#  file in their home directory.  Definitions included there will take
#  precedence over those listed here.
<snip>
application/futuresplash                        spl
application/ghostview
application/hta                                 hta
<snip>

However, the format of wine's (or cxoffice's) ~/.mime.types file is
completely diffferent:
<snip>
#
X-Created-By-mcap-cxoffice-ff120fd1-93c5-4bef-8da1-b9ecff669032:text_h323=text_h323
type=application/x-crossover-ade \
desc=Microsoft Access Project Extension \
exts="ade"
<snip>

(Sorry about line wraps. The "# X-Created-By" is one line, and the
"type=", "desc=" and "exts=" lines are three different lines, the first
two teriminated with at trailing '\'.)

lynx accepts standard ~/.mime.types files, but croaks on cxoffice's. I
suspect that may be true of other programs too...

* What is it used for? MS Office seems to work without it...
* Can I safely delete it - what should I expect?
* Do you agree that creating it / its format is a bug with wine?
* Or is it cxoffice specific?
* Or is it a bug with lynx?

* Or am I just outta luck?

Peter