[Wine] Transparent socks proxy

Arnaud.ATOCH at oecd.org Arnaud.ATOCH at oecd.org
Thu Mar 30 04:14:54 CST 2006

Hello,

I'm running Wine 0.9.10 on a Fedora Core 5 at work.
I'd like to use the Socks5 proxy we've got with application run under Wine.

The application I'm using in Wine works fine using direct connection to the
internet but this application has no settings I can change to inform it of
the socks proxy.
So I'm using Sockscap32 2.38 from www.permeo.com . It works fine under
windows on the same computer.
When I launch it under wine, it starts, it let you configure and when I start
the application from it I receive a wine message on an unsupported function :
Err:virtual:NtAllocateVirtualMemory Unsupported on other process

This seems to come from dlls/ntdll/virtual.c where a simple test checks if it
is the current process or not. Is this just a security feature or is there
technical issue behind this test ?

1258     if (!is_current_process
<http://source.winehq.org/ident?i=is_current_process> ( process
<http://source.winehq.org/ident?i=process>  ))
1259     {
1260         ERR <http://source.winehq.org/ident?i=ERR> ("Unsupported on
other process\n");
1261         return STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
<http://source.winehq.org/ident?i=STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED> ;
1262     }

So I've tried the tsocks Linux application http://tsocks.sourceforge.net/ to
try to make the proxy transparent for Wine but here again : no success as the
application does not seems to inherit / use tsocks settings.

Any ideas on how to use socks proxy under wine for applications unaware of
proxies ?

Thanks.

Arnaud Atoch
OECD