[Wine] Wine + serial port basically hangs system

Dan Armbrust daniel.armbrust.list at gmail.com
Mon May 1 11:20:20 CDT 2006

Inline -

Daniel Skorka wrote:
> In article <mailman.94.1146347414.7241.wine-users at winehq.org> you wrote:
>> The next problem, however, is that as soon as I start the program, the
>> system load starts to skyrocket.  5, 6, 7... and climbing.  Soon, the
>> mouse starts to become jerky, and its hard to change windows.  Within
>> about 2 minutes, the mouse doesn't work at all, and remote terminals
>> stop responding.  The system load is up in the 40s.
>
> Could you check in what part of the system the processing power is
> mostly spent? I.e. user/system/waiting...

I'll have to look again when I go back to testing this again.  I was
going to try again on Saturday, but I couldn't get the program to
connect up via the serial port anymore... still not sure what changed.
I thought it was a permissions problem that I was having at first, but
now I'm not so sure.  Kind of a weekend project for me, hopefully I'll
be able to find more time next weekend.

>> fixme:comm:SetupComm insize 1298 outsize 1298 unimplemented stub
>> err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x5204ac84 "loader.c:
>> loader_section" wait timed out in thread 0025, blocked by 0024,
>> retrying (60 sec)
>> err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x685f8f58 "?" wait timed
>> out in thread 000a, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)
>> err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x685f8f58 "?" wait timed
>> out in thread 000a, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)
>
> Those RtlpWaitForCriticalection are signs of a race condition, usually
> caused by the fact that wine sometimes has to go about things in a
> rather roundabout way. It could for example be that your program uses
> one thread to read the serial port and another for the main program. Now
> if those two threads are competing for a lock/semaphore/whatever the
> result could be what you are seeing.
> Another possibility is that some other program is trying to read from
> ttyS0 as well.

Hmm - I don't think anything else should be competing for the serial
port - at least not that I'm aware of.  How could I check to see what
programs are trying to access the serial port?  It also wouldn't
surprise me if this software was just plain bad - I haven't been real
impressed with it.  Its pretty ugly.

Thanks,

Dan

--