[Wine] Re: Further to 0.9.8 to 0.9.12 update problems

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Wed May 3 18:00:25 CDT 2006

Bob Bob wrote:
> Hi Duane
>
> wine --version
> Wine 0.9.12
>
> Yes the fonts are in the right place as you indicated.
>
> This time I used the tools/wineinstall script with the same outcome.

Looking through your previous emails, I did not see any mention whether
you tried moving your current .wine to a temporary name, and letting
Wine rebuild a new one from scratch. You might want to give that a try.
If that fixes it, it would imply that something in your Wine registry is
causing the problem.

> Does wine ONLY look at the share fonts directory for fonts or does it
> (also) look elsewhere? (like in X11 etc) I also wonder where fonts
> downloaded via winetools ends up. (I hope it isnt a issue for my current
> efforts!)

Oh, it has changed a number of times. I am not sure of the order, but I
think it will check the share directory and C:\windows\fonts by default.
For other directories, I think perhaps there need to be entries in the
registry. But don't quote me on any of this part ;)

> I note there is no "fonts-cache" file in the folder that seems to be
> common with other fonts on my disk. I guess this file is something built
> by SuSEconfig?

If there are no fonts available in any of the places Wine knows to look,
then it falls back to using the XFS server fonts (which is serving the
fonts for normal X/Linux programs). In that case, Wine builds a font
cache of the fonts provided by XFS. As long as Wine finds a least one
font in one of the normal directories it knows about, it will not
build/use the cache.

> Interesting to note that the SuSE RPM for 0.9.8 has the fonts in
> /usr/share/fonts/wine/ and the 0.9.12 version in /usr/share/wine/fonts/.
> Building from source as you mentioned puts them in
> /usr/local/share/wine/fonts/ so I quickly tried copying to fonts to the
> other location without effect.

This location changed fairly recently (a few months ago, as I recall).