[Wine] wine hangs on first run

Daniel Skorka skorka at gmx.net
Fri May 5 02:08:00 CDT 2006

Vincente Aggrippino <vaggrippino at gmail.com> wrote:
>   - If I look at the main trace file, it's waiting for wineprefixcreate
>   (via waitpid()) and wineprefixcreate is waiting for it's child.  The last
>   line just says "waitpid(-1, ", without the closing parentheses.
>   - winecreateprefix's child is running "rundll32.exe
> setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection
>   DefaultInstall 128 wine.inf" in the process listing and its trace file
>   says it's waiting to receive something from file descriptor 11 ("recv(11,
>   ").
>   - File descriptor 11 is where I stop understanding the man pages.  It
>   opens a socket connection like this: "socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM,
>   IPPROTO_IP) = 11"

Ah, this goes some way. Nicely done. For some reason rundll32.exe is
opening a TCP connection. If you look at the lines in the trace after
socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 11
you should be able to find further system calls that specify the IP
address to connect to (look for connect(...)).

> Can I attach files to a mailing list?  Is there a useful subset of the trace
> information that I can put into an email?

It's better not to. In the case of a strace, the last couple lines could
be useful or useless without the preceding chunk. It would be best if
you had some way to put those files onto a webserver or ftpserver.

Daniel