[Wine] philosophy of cvs/git/wine-patch

Bonnel Christophe mage.tophinus at free.fr
Sun May 7 14:26:28 CDT 2006

Hi,

Since 4 weeks, I'm looking at the different ways to obtain the lastest
wine. I want to test it and try to find problems with the poor few games
i have, in order to help developers and wine development too :)

But I don't really understand the differences between cvs, git and
wine-patches. I think that cvs and git are the same wine "version". But
for wine-patches, i don't really understand. I know wine-bugs so it is
naturally that some patches are submitted in wine-patches before going
to cvs & git. But, when i look at this :
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2006-May/date.html
I see for example :
"[WINED3D 3/8] Created generate_base_shader() which will be shared
between pixel and vertex shaders to generate the bulk of the shader string"
Why doesn't i see that modification in cvs or git ? You surely need some
time to put it in, but is there a way, different that apply each patch
one per one, to grab the latest tree ? And why it is not automatically
submit into cvs/git ?
Note that i use archives to view(not download) the progression, not
directly the mails, so i use for cvs :
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-cvs/2006-May/date.html
and for git :
http://source.winehq.org/git/?p=wine.git;a=tree + shortlog

A last question : does it exist a system as debian : unstable, testing,
stable ? Naturally, it may become "stable" when no bugs are submitted
since some time; i know that we can't affirm that it's perfectly stable.
It is the general idea i want to submit you, i hope you understand me.

Thanks in advance for your reply and sorry for my english, i need more
practice before i can explain me clearly.

Christophe