[Wine] Wine + serial port basically hangs system

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sun May 7 17:35:28 CDT 2006

    Dan> Back to the battle again...  I uninstalled all of the older version
    Dan> of wine that I had.  I erased my .wine folder.

    Dan> I installed 0.9.12 from source (that took a long time on this old
    Dan> pc :)

    Dan> I reran winecfg.

    Dan> I installed my HeavyWeather program.

    Dan> I symlinked dosdevices/com1 -> /dev/ttyS0

    Dan> I chmodded /dev/ttyS0 to 777.

    Dan> I launch HeavyWeather... and it start up.  But it does not ever
    Dan> make a connection to the weather station.

    Dan> I ran in comm debug mode, and this is what I get:

    Dan> trace:comm:Comm_CheckEvents mask 0x00000001

mask = 0x00000001 is EV_RXCHAR. The application wants to know if a new
character has arrived

    Dan> trace:comm:Comm_CheckEvents old->rx 0x00000216 vs. new->rx
    Dan> 0x00000216
    Dan> trace:comm:Comm_CheckEvents old->tx          0x00000257 vs. new->tx  =20
    Dan>   0x00000257

But there is no new character . But it seems 0x216 characters have already
been received and 257 chars transmitted.
    Dan> trace:comm:Comm_CheckEvents OUTQUEUE 0, Transmitter not empty

This results from a wrong place Warn on about line 1810 in kernel32/comm.c
The warn should be place inside the braces of
if (mask & EV_TXEMPTY) {}
above, when the application ask for it when the mask bit is set.

Let me wait until Eric's recent changes regarding moving the COMM IOCTLs to
ntdll have been applied. I will then fix the error. It seems unrelated to
your problem, or at least not the cause.

Perhaps you can add my patch
Subject: Add fileio debugchannel for file content debugging
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 19:32:36 +0200

to see if any real communication happens and see what is sent

    Dan> Any suggestions are welcome,

Bye
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de