[Wine] Installation of IE6 and Office2000 with wine 0.9.12

Achim Spangler Achim.Spangler at mnet-online.de
Mon May 8 05:35:40 CDT 2006

Hi,
I used some time ago the winetools package to configure wine older than 0.9.10
with IE6 and Office 2000. Updates of wine up to 0.9.10 where also succesful,
so that I was able to continue the usage of MS Office2000.

But since the Desktop changes in wine 0.9.11, 0.9.12 the old installation does
no more work.

##
My experiements to install IE6 and Office 2000 without winetools are not yet
successful:
+ IE6 setup doesn't get the right internet access, so that it reports
  "not able to access internet" or "download information is wrong"
  --> I try for now to use the builtin IE6 erplacement
  --> but this doesn't work for me either (as reported by another user)

+ MS Office 2000 install (I installed DCOM98 before, use Win98 mode)
  runs until the end, but NO EXE FILES are created in the install
  directory
  --> should this normally work without some special magic (i.e. long list
      of manual tuning)

##
I tried to share the drive_c of a wine/winetools installation on a windows
share. But wine didn't accept the symlinked drive_c, so that it warns me
about "no suitable wine dir found".

I'm not sure whether wine or winetools is the cause for this strict
verification.

So another question:
+ how can I configure a wine/winetools installation, so that drive_c can be
  shared
+ how can I configure a pure wine setup, so that I can share there drive_c

My setup:
Kubuntu Breezy,
Upgraded to current state,
wine 0.9.12