[Wine] Pegasus Mail and recent versions of Wine

James E. Lang jelly at lang.hm
Wed May 24 02:49:52 CDT 2006

David Dawson wrote at 20:51 on 22 May 2006:

> James E. Lang wrote:
>
> > Has anyone succeeded in running Pegasus Mail with a version of Wine newer
> > than 0.9.8?
> I just installed Pegasus Mail v4.21c under Wine 0.9.13, running in Debian
> Sarge and it worked just fine -- no problems at all.

Thank you, David. I'm keeping this response on list though it may not be of
that much interest to most. I hope that either you will have some good answers
for me or that a developer will see this and will be able to resolve my
problems for me.

You say that you just installed PM v4.21c under Wine 0.9.13. I have a series of
questions to ask. Am I to assume that you had not been running PM under any
prior version of Wine? Do you have PM installed on a vfat (Windows style) file
system or is it on a native Linux file system? If the former is the case then
what is the directory that is linked from .wine/dosdevices/c:? Also, if PM is
installed on some drive letter other than C: on a vfat file system, what did
you have to do to get the drive letters all configured correctly?

I have posted to this list before regarding my problems. Up through Wine
version 0.9.8 I had pretty good success with Pegasus Mail (v4.31 at present).
That covered almost two years of using various versions of Wine. Then a change
was made for Wine version 0.9.9 that told PM to terminate whenever it closed
the message composition window. That problem still existed in Wine version
0.9.10. I have not had success with any version of Wine since 0.9.10 in that PM
appears to run in the background without even so much as a mention on the task
bar. I have found no way to bring it to the foreground though it is meaningless
for it to run in the background.

My system is running SuSE 9.3 and I install Wine from the rpm packages built
for that version of Linux.

--
Jim