[Wine] Re: When trying to run Windows games, it logs me off

David Dawson gobble_em_up at hotmail.com
Fri May 26 01:24:13 CDT 2006

link141 wrote:

> I've installed several Windows 98 games on the Linux end of my computer
> using Wine, and I must say I'm impressed that they run on Linux as
> opposed to Win XP.  The games install correctly, and the configuration
> files for them work as well.  When I try to run the games though, they
> begin as expected and get as far as changing the screen resolution when
> it logs me off of my OS unexpectedly!  I disabled all hotkey
> combinations for logging off, and no change in this odd behavior.
> These are games that are said to be very compatible with Wine.  I'm
> running Kubuntu Dapper Drake, on standard 32-bit CPU.  Thanks in
> advance.

I am not the most knowledgeable about Wine, but perhaps changing the screen
resolution (and maybe colour depth) before running the game would make it
work.  I recall running a Quicktime presentation when I was using Win98 and
it *refused* to perform unless I changed to a 256 colour screen (I was
running High Colour at that).

There was an earlier post about colour depth; you might search in a news
archive for it. Don't recall who posted it.
--
If you wrestle in the mud with a pig.
you both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

-- Dave Dawson