[Wine] Re: Running Wine on Ubuntu variant and Outlook

carl0s carl at noitsnotcss-networks.commy.invalid
Tue May 30 19:16:40 CDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 10:09 +0000, Dirk Roos wrote:
> Gabriel Dragffy wrote:
>
> > The alternative to Outlook is Evolution, it used to be fairly buggy, but
> > from what I've seen/heard recent updates are pretty solid and it's a good
> > substitute for outlook.
> >

> But does it connect to an Exchange server?

Yes, but only Exchange 2000 and above. It uses HTTP WebDAV to access the
data via the server's owa url (e.g. http://server/exchange). Sounds
kludgy but it works well. As others have said, reliability of Evolution
seems to be pretty good now. I have been using it for some time and for
once have not felt the need to give up and boot into Windows at all.

I don't seem to have access to my Outlook 'Notes' folder though.
Evolution has its own Memos, but this is separate to my Outlook/Exchange
notes. I haven't looked into this so perhaps it can be fixed. Anyway,
this is way off topic - just don't bother trying Outlook in Wine, get
used to Evolution instead.