[Wine] How can one get printing via cups to work with wine?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Sat Sep 16 13:00:10 CDT 2006

.
How can one get printing via cups to work with wine?

According to http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wineusr-guide/index
"3.3.4. Printers -- Wine can interact directly with the CUPS
printing system to find the printers available on your system.
Configuring printers with Wine is as simple as making sure your
CUPS configuration works."

But regrettably, this is not proving to be true.

Printing via cups works with all of my Linux applications.
But when I try to print from any windows application started
via wine (even notepad.exe), I see this error message:

  "Cannot print" ... and ... "No printers installed."

That is not true.  Printers are installed and work via cups.

So, what needs to be done to get wine to see cups?