[Wine] Help installing terminal client for MV/Pick Systems DB

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 05:24:48 CDT 2006

Bryan Mattes wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 LTS.  I have installed Wine version 9.9.

No such version of Wine exists.

> This is my first attempt with Wine so please be kind...

Nuh-uh.

> I have successfully gotten into Win Explorer and verified that the Wine
> environment is working.

explorer.exe, or whatcha talking aboot?

> I'm trying to install a MVTerm client for our MVBase database ( A Pick
> Systems variant at www.rainingdata.com).  This particular application is
> desirable because it uses a unique variant on the Telnet protocol that
> is licensed differently by the server.
>
> When I first installed I found I needed the mfc40.dll present.  After
> installing the Dll I'm now stuck with no obvious direction to look.
>
> The Console Output indicates the following:
> [... snip various fixmes ...]

The "fixmes" are normal, they're a developer hint that a few things
are missing that this application would like to use.  Running the
application without a console, or with standard output sent to
/dev/null, will get rid of those, as will turning them off via the
WINEDEBUG environment variable.

>         err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"mvworkst.dll"
>         err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"0085"
>         err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"protege.c"
>         err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"356"
>         err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"6"
>         err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"\\\\192.168.1.198"
>         err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"-1"

Odd.  Usually developers will leave, if not a detailed, then at least
a hint in the "err" message as to what the error is about.  Since
that's missing, it's hard to tell what the heck the above is supposed
to mean.

I guess you'll find that the output which the application tries to
write into the NT event log won't be found anywhere, except in the
above :-).

> The Application window never comes up and to terminate I must Ctrl-C.

Ok.  The console output you've provided gives no direct answer as to
why that is the case, but it does seem that the application can't find
or load "mvworkst.dll".  Does that file exist in your
~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 or application folder?

Hint:
You can enable more debug channels with the WINEDEBUG environment
variable, fx. +win might be relevant in your case.

The Wine User Guide has a list of WINEDEBUG channels, but the WUG is
impossible to find via Google, probably because it was manually
excluded for the longest time.  The CodeWeavers reference is findable
by googling for "WINEDEBUG", though.