[Wine] Wine 1.0 criterias

Bojan Antonovic bojan at antonovic.com
Thu Sep 28 15:50:03 CDT 2006

Hi all

Is there a list of criterias for a 1.0 release of Wine? I couldn't find
one. I was looking in the developers mailing list. But there's only a
collection of bugs that must be fixed.

An important question for me is: How many native DLLs will be accepted
for a 1.0 version? I don't get the point that installing _multiple
_native libraries to make an application installable and/or runnable
solves a bug report, but on the other side the goal is to be free of
native DLLs if possible.

Other possible criterias:

    * All downloadable software must run (a very practical criteria).
    * Software with Linux ports is not mandatory to run (like Google
      Earth or OpenOffice 2.0).
    * Games till DirectX 8.0 must run (Direct X 9.0 support is for Wine 2.0)
    * Games till DirectX 9.0 must run (ambitious?).

I personaly don't like a restrictions to non-Linux software. If Google
Earth or OpenOffice 2.0 can proof the completeness of Wine, why should
they be unsupported? I read often "There's a Linux version of this app."
as a form of excuse. For me. a maximal completeness is the best
advertisment for Wine.

Can the list of criterias be posted to http://bugs.winehq.org or so? Or
in the FAQ?

This list doesn't have to be complete. But it should exist.

If Wine is beta, then the question is: When can the 1.0 be expected? 1.0
should mean an initial release, and not the 100% ready and stable
release. If Wine is completed to 2/3 in APIs after 13 years, will the
total development time be 20 years? :) So 2013 a 1.0 release? Hopefully
not! Can a generous timescale be given, like:

- end of 2007: all DX8 games run => Wine 1.0
- end of 2008: all DX9 games run => Wine 2.0

Please stay polite in giving the answer to the timescale question.

    Bojan