[Wine] Program entries not working

Stephen Constantinou stephanos at writeme.com
Sat Apr 28 13:54:42 CDT 2007

Dear Derek

Thanks again for the input.  Still many questions, but I am keen to
learn and progress.

Are the files ending tar.bz2 compiled from source ?

If I remove the wine present from my distro (Mandriva) can I install the
latest version from a tar.bz or does it have to be a distro specific rpm?

If I can do this, do I use the tar command to unpack it, then the
      $ ./configure
      $ make depend
      $ make
      # make install
to install wine?

If the answer to this is yes:
1) can I be in any directory to use these commands
2) which commands are as root?
3  after I have installed wine do I still use “Winecfg” to start
installing an application then use “wine" command to run the application
installation process? (wine /mnt/cdrom/autorun.exe to install Paint Shop
Pro from cd)
4) can I expect entries to be made automatically in Program for me or is
there something else I should do?

When you know nothing everything is a question

Thank wait to hear