[Wine] Re: Unable to configure wine

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Tue Aug 7 03:43:32 CDT 2007

L. Rahyen schreef:
> On Monday August 6 2007 20:40, Roel Schroeven wrote:
>> I installed Wine on a Debian Sarge machine. I installed Wine version
>> 0.9.25 from backports.org, since the version in Sarge proper is way too
>> old.
>>
>> Then I tried to configure Wine using winecfg, but that didn't work out:
>>
>> I'd rather not upgrade from sarge to etch on this machine, so I hope
>> there are solutions besides that.
>
> 	There is only two options for you if you don't want to upgrade. First, you
> can try to compile WINE yourself and see if it helps. And second, you can try
> to use ancient WINE versions (as old as your distro); drawback of this option
> I think is obvious.
> 	But I personally recommend you to upgrade your Debian. In fact, I see no
> reason why not to upgrade even if machine in question is old and slow. Etch
> is a lot better than Sarge. At least I like it much more.

I'd like to upgrade, but the thing is: the machine is a server offering
a number of services. Everything is working satisfactory now, and I
don't want to risk breaking something in the upgrade process. I realize
I'll have to do it once Sarge is no longer supported, but in the
meantime I think it's best to keep Sarge.

I already tried an old Wine version, the one included in Sarge, but that
didn't work out very well either (the documentation on the Wine website
recommends against using versions that old, so I didn't try very hard).

So I'll try compiling Wine from source; if that doesn't work out, we'll
have to decide if we prefer to keep Sarge or be able to run Wine.

Roel Schroeven