[Wine] Problem on installing MS VM on wine

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 12 06:20:17 CDT 2007

Hi L. Rahyen,

- snip -

> > What does it mean?  No MS VM found?
>
> 	ies4linux install IE to non-default WINEPREFIX. If you did
> installation of
> msjava exactly as I have suggested without exporting WINEPREFIX
> environment
> variable then it is expected result - IE from non-standard WINEPREFIX
> (most
> likely ~/.ies4linux/ie6) will not find msjava installed in standard
> WINEPREFIX (that's ~/.wine).
> 	See below how to solve this problem.
>
> 	Before you continue, please make sure you have latest WINE installed
> - that's
> 0.9.43! You may try with older version too but in case of any
> problems before
> asking for farther help make sure you have latest version. No one
> will
> support old WINE versions!

I was compelled to downgrade to wine 0.9.33.  The story is as follow;

After version 0.9.43 released I upgraded it on Ubuntu repo.
Immediately thereafter I found the top tools-bar of IE disappeared.
Then I force-downgrade Wine back to version 0.9.33 and reinstalled IE.
Now I get its top tools-bar back.  I'm not alone sufferring this
problem.  Folks on IEs4Linux forum also encountered the same problem.
Report of bug has been made to Wine by them.

I'm prepared to try again upgrading Wine to version 0.9.43 on Ubuntu
repo to see what will happen.  Before start any advise or precaution?
TIA.

- snip -

> > Could you please explain in more detail?  Tks.
>
> 	Yes, of course. You have two ways to do this:
>
> 	1) This is simplest and fastest way (at least in my opinion).
> 	Use wine-double-install to copy all changed files and registry
> entries after
> msjava installation from clean WINEPREFIX to WINEPREFIX with IE.
> 	I have attached wine-double-install script to this message. You need
> install it like this on your system:
>
> chmod +x wine-double-install
> sudo cp wine-double-install /usr/local/bin/
>
> 	Now you ready to use it. In your particular case you should run it
> like this:
>
> rm -rf ~/.wine-tmp
> wine-double-install -s ~/.wine-tmp -d /.ies4linux/ie6 \
> msjavx86b3805.exe \
> MSJavWU_8073687b82d41db93f4c2a04af2b34d.exe
>
> 	This will install both files with clean WINE (it is important here
> that
> directory given with -s option doesn't exist so new WINEPREFIX will
> be
> created) and then will copy all changes in filesystem and registry
> from clean
> WINE to WINE with IE. If installation with clean WINE was OK then you
> should
> have now msjava in WINEPREFIX with IE.
> 	If this script will work fine for you don't forget to tell me about
> this! I
> never tested it on other machines. Thanks.

Yes, I'll test your script after successfully installing msjava from
clean WINEPREFIX to WINEPREFIX with IE and let you know its result
afterwards.

> 	2) You can turn off temporaly all native overrides in order to
> install msjava
> within ies4linux's WINEPREFIX (this assumes installation works fine
> with
> clean WINE). This is not stricly equivalent of installation with
> clean WINE
> so if it doesn't work try first way.

Noted with tks.

> > > if installation doesn't work even with clean
> > > WINE you
> > > should report this to http://bugs.winehq.org .
> >
> > Shall I report the bug?
>
> 	If installation of msjava went fine with clean WINE - no. If msjava
> doesn't
> work with clean WINE - yes (but of course you must find a way to test
> it
> without IE because IE cannot work with clean WINE yet). If you
> unsure, feel
> free to ask me.
>
> 	I want to say that I never tried msjava so I have no idea how well
> it will
> work with WINE.

Noted with tks.

B.R.