[Wine] Can't get OpenGL to work

Anurag Mishra mishra.anurag07 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 23:40:17 CST 2007

Markus,
 I am not at all familiar with Catia, but I can reenumerate my personal
experiences with Intel on Linux. I am a basically normal student and tried
to play counter strike on Linux through Wine. It had been ages since this
piece of software runs perfect on wine. However, I met endless hours of
frustration in trying to get it run. Initially, starting the game completely
locked the computer, and since I don't know fancy ssh thing, all I could do
was to reboot.
 I thought of blaming Wine, but things started magically working  when I
upgraded my OS to Ubuntu Gutsy. Those included a new set of drivers(for the
same hardware), and now the game runs perfectly.
 I also have other bad experiences with Intel Graphics. For example you
cannot run Compiz along with a movie on any driver except those of nvidia.
Is nvidia hardware superior(till level of playing a movie)? No, it's simply
because the drivers from ATI and Intel are incomplete. Now what's more,
X3000 is officially banned by Compiz for poor driver support.
  Another isuue is amount of support you can get. Remember when you buy
Nvidia, you are paying not only for harware, but also for the support they
offer.
 Nvidia drivers are released approximately once in 2-3 months, and contains
many bug fixes. God knows when Intel releases new drivers (both for Windows
and Linux). And even if you somehow come to know about a new driver
releases, chances are you don't know how to build and compile entire new
intel graphics driver. So your only hope for getting an updated driver is
your distribution, which makes a new release each 6 months, which is fine
for me as a home user(atleast i can do whatever I want on my PC, reformat it
as many times I want), but I fail to imagine consequences for a business
user.
 In short, one pays no more than 3-4 $ for an Intel integrated graphics
solution, and one should not really expect much out of it. If you are a
critical business user, try switching to nvidia. A basic nvidia card cost
less than Windows license, and is most you can make out of your money.
 BTW, did you know that our hardware supports OpenGL 1.5, but intel is yet
to provides driver support, and it's nearly 3 years from release of
X3000...... Being open source doesn't magically increases your programming
skills, and I am damn sure that engineers at Tungsten Graphics(the people to
which work of Intel drivers has been outsourced) are being paid less than
those at Nvidia, which earns its bread and butter by Graphics market
alone...