[Wine] Can't get OpenGL to work

Anurag Mishra mishra.anurag07 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 23:05:20 CST 2007

I think you are getting the wrong point. I can quote it thus: "No serious
graphics user ever,ever relies on integrated products".Period, end of story.

There are other graphics card vendors as well and
> not dealing with Intel hardware is pretty much like ignoring MS
> Windows on the software side:

You are making the wrong comparisons. Intel might be good on other things
like Microprocessors, WiFi cards and so on, but comparing Intel and
Nvidia/ATI in graphics market is like comparing Microsoft and Google in
online advertisement market.
 Intel will not, and can not, provide anyone support on products for which
consumers pays essentially nothing(Ok you do pay 3-4 $ compared to
motherboards with no integrated graphics). Although its their responsibility
to provide good drivers, but they easily escape it by telling that their
efforts are open source, which I don't think is a good  excuse.

About recommending Nvidia, it's  simply word of mouth advertising. These
people make products that WORK, albeit being closed sourced. ATI may be
catching up in 1-2 years, but Intel is simply out of scene.

PS: BTW, there has been new release of Intel Driver( v2.3 ) , and since it
requires Xorg 7.3, you would have to wait for Hardy Heron to get that
update. I've heard that they have completed EXA implementation, and now we
can run compiz along with a movie.