[Wine] wine proccess list

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Tue Dec 11 23:07:15 CST 2007

> Am Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2007 18:02:53 schrieb Gonzalo Martinez - Sanjuan
> Sanchez:
> > Hello to all.
> >
> > I have something in mind that I would like to ask to Wine developers.
> > Is it possible using a hack/trick or a hidden option to change the
> > name of wine in the proccess lists?
> > I mean, Is it possible to list 'wine' proccess as, for example
> > 'iexplorer' when I use Internet Explorer under Wine?
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your work, hope my question find the answer here.
> This is done since quite some time. apps are usually called "iexplore.exe", or
> they have the name of the file that was passed to wine, like C:\Program
> Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
>
> If you still see "wine", "wineloader" or something similar you have a very
> outdated version of wine.
Hi!
  BTW I don't like this feature and I would prefer at least a commandline
switch, or maybe a registry key, to prevent it.
  Why ?
  Because wine (and windows apps) sometimes crash and remain running, doing
nothing useful but eating CPU/memory, and not being able to be killed easily
(even killing the window doesn't close the app reliably). For this case, it's
most easy to execute "killall -KILL <some static name like wine/wine-pthread>"
instead of doing ps axufw, searching for the name of the app and then killing
it. I had a single-liner script called kw (kill wine) and doing exactly the
above command, and a beutifull bomb icon calling it. Now I can't se it - even
killing wineserver sometimes doesn't help.
  With regards, Pavel Troller