[Wine] Re : .NET programs

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 16:41:55 CST 2007

> > One reason for using native dlls is performance. In cases where an
> > emulated virtual environment provides poor performance a native dll
> > can be added to improve performance.
> >
> Better performance should NEVER be a reason to use native .dll files.
> Implementing a
> function that is NOT available through Wine, is.

Ahhh. In this case I was using a different meaning of the word native.
I mean that some .NET programs use regular win32 dlls that are
compiled for and run as x86 code instead of the virtual environment
that .NET provides. Using these dlls can greatly improve the
performance for cases where .NET slows down performance to an
unacceptable level.

> However, you should
> NEVER replace
> a core dll with a native version unless you want trouble.
Agreed.

John