[Wine] exporting registry to Wine

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Tue Dec 18 05:13:28 CST 2007

On Monday December 17 2007 18:20, Sebastien Roret wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I didn't find any clue in the documentation, so I'm posting my problem
> here. I'm trying to use wine with a special prefix, whose drive_c/ is
> containing a whole Windows C: drive.
> The problem is that I can't launch the binaries, because the wine reg files
> aren't in sync with the Windows registry.

	Run Konsole or any other Xshell you like and run this:

rm -rf ~/.wine
wineprefixcreate

	Now you should be able to install and use Windows programs you need in the
same way as you do in Windows (if not report a bug at
http://bugs.winehq.org ). Make to NOT change default settings for C: drive in
WINE and NEVER try to import registry or its parts from Windows or from
another WINE prefix.
	If you will not obey above recommendations no one will be able to help you,
sorry. And for good reason: because Windows doesn't work support this either.
	For example if you install fresh copy of Windows and try to import whole
registry and all program files from another Windows installation - Microsoft
and other software companies will refuse to support you in case of *any*
problems because of this, they will just ask you to reinstall Windows and
programs properly.

> My question : Is it possible to export an existing Windows registry cleanly
> to Wine ?

	If you ask Microsoft "Is it possible to export an existing Windows registry
cleanly to another Windows installation?" guess what answer you will get? WINE
prefix (~/.wine by default) is essentially the same thing as separate Windows
installation (with obvious differences).

> I just wanted to launch through a complete C drive :)

	You just should install program in WINE in the way you typically do in
Windows. I see no reason to not do this.
	If you have *really* big program and want to use it in both Windows and WINE
you may (but shouldn't) try to install it in WINE to corresponding location in
Windows drive where you have installed the program in Windows. This of course
UNSUPPORTED and if it doesn't work - this is expected result, it shouldn't
work! But it has more chances to work than your current approach.
	Anyway, if you really want to try it - make sure to backup any important
files and remember that only supported way is installation of programs for
WINE only. This is true for Windows too: if you install program in Windows
you shouldn't try to use it in another Windows (or WINE prefix). If you try
and something doesn't work - this is normal and expected result unless the
program in question officially support installation-less launching.