[Wine] Wine + Windows Partition + Registry

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Wed Feb 14 04:43:22 CST 2007

Wednesday February 14 2007 09:41、Declan Moriarty さんは書きました:
> On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 01:48 +0000, Jim Stapleton wrote:
> > I have a windows partition (XP), with a few applications I'd like to
> > run on it while in BSD:
> > Microsoft Office XP (for the occasional doc that OO doesn't like)
> > Corel Photopaint 9 or X3
> > Trillian (not needed but would be nice)
> > and a few games.
> >

> > The games run fine, pretty much like in windows, but they have fewer
> > directx errors and crashes :-)
> >
> > Office gets annoyed when I open winword.exe in wine, it says that
> > office hasn't been installed for this user. I figured it was some
> > registry goof, and I could probably fix it. My first attempt involved
> > booting windows, saving the registry (.reg), then reopening it in
> > notepad and saving it as ASCII as the default is unicode. I rebooted
> > back into BSD, mounted the windows partition to /data/wine/drive_c and
> > did:
> > $ cat /data/wine/drive_c/registry_dump.reg | sed -e 's/\\/\\\\/g' >
> > /data/wine/win_reg_dump.reg
> >
> > Next I moved all the default wine .reg files in it's base directory to
> > the same file name, but prepended with "_", and moved
> > /data/wine/wine_reg_dump.reg with system.reg
> >
> > When I ran wine, it recreated the defaults, and overwrote the
> > system.reg file made from wine_reg_dump
> >

> > Anyone have a good way to fix this not involving crossover? Possibly
> > an application that takes a windows registry save, ascii, and converts
> > it to a wine registry file, and/or merges the two?
>
> I have managed this sort of thing with regedit /export in XP and
> regedit/import in wine.
> The result wasn't perfect.  I got caught on these long  digit keys
> various programs wanted. A better way to go at it might be to search the
> installation for some file of registry keys (usually lying around)

	Better way to first try to install under Wine and see if it works. Then (and
only then) you may try to bypass installation if program doesn't work without
installing (that is, have some stupid registry keys that cannot be created at
startup of the software because of stupidity of its developers). You may also
want to monitor what files programs create, change or use under Windows. To
do this, run VMWare or QEmu with clean Windows...
	(If you not yet familiar with virtual machines read this note) NOTE: You
*really* need virtual machines otherwise you will face a lot of problems
because it is impossible to have clean Windows on real computer, it always
will become dirty very quckly - just one unusual factor or software conflict
(most installers use "conflicts" to prevent you from clean second
installation) can affect installation and of course it is impossible to
uninstall software under Windows if you didn't perform full monitoring of at
least first installation and first run. It is much simpler and faster just to
revert Windows to previous (clean) snapshot when necessary.
	...Then use regmon and filemon (see
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/Filemon.mspx or use
the Google) to monitor and collect all important information about what
registry keys and files was touched by installation process and first run
after installation. It is important to install to clean Windows to prevent
any conflicts. If you try to install almost any commercial software second
time it WILL conflict with itself and results of your monitoring will be
wrong - not full or even worse, incorrect and useless. In practice many
programs can work with keys from the registry even if these keys was a little
wrong because of unclean installation (i.e. not all keys was imported to Wine
registry or state of imported keys is "broken", etc.) but sometimes this
break the software and it doesn't work even if it should and can work under
Wine.
	But in real-world you really should try to install the software under Wine
first. In fact, I didn't used above "techniq" for years... Most Windows
programs I need work great and installs without using native dlls from
Windows or Windows itself. Some don't but often simpler approaches to bypass
the installation exists - for example searching in the Google for
ready-to-use simple instructions (you can find such instructions for
Photoshop and some other programs). But if your software isn't very popular
and it is unknown does it work under current version of Wine or not, and you
did try to install it (under Wine) and that has failed, and if you think that
there is a chance that the software may work under Wine if you bypass its
installation - try what I described above.