[Wine] HoMM 3 - SoD not working under FC6, but does in FC5

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Jan 1 10:55:40 CST 2007

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 12:03:52 +0000,
  "L. Rahyen" <research at science.su> wrote:
> On Monday January 1 2007 10:47, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > I am going to bed now, but I can probably try this tomorrow. I did try some
> > of this previously (but not the install with 0.9.28) and I don't think it
> > works very well without the No CD hack with either expansion installed.
> > There is a missing dll, that based on the name, is supposed to make sure
> > the CD is a CD and not a disk copy of it.
>
> 	I don't know would Heroes 3 copy protection work or not with Wine because I
> never tested it but I know behavior of the game without CD. Without NoCD hack
> and without CD itself game should start and work fine - only thing that
> doesn't work is single player (it will ask you for CD).

It looks like reinstalling under 0.9.28 fixed the problem I was having.
HoMM3 RoE worked with the CD in the drive. AB and SoD without the NoCD binary
didn't work because of a missing DLL. However SoD with the 3.2 update and
NoCD binary worked.

This is still a curious problem, but I suppose I'll have to wait now until
FC6 has wine 0.9.28 to see if something was fixed in 0.9.28 or if there
is something odd about the FC6 wine build. If the latter, I suspect I
should really report it to Fedora.

As a side question, do you have any tips for speeding Heroes up under wine?
In the short term I wanted to run it on a older machine that we used to
play under windows until the OS (windows 2000) got corrupted and it was
time to put Linux on it. But Heroes seems to run a lot (several times)
slower under wine of FC6. I'll play with some of the winecfg settings and
see if I can get some speed up, but if you have any other suggestions, I'd
like to here them.

Thanks for all of your help.