[Wine] Magellan Roadmate tools 3050T & Suse 10.2

Joe jel at pa.net
Mon Jan 1 17:19:09 CST 2007

I am trying to access my GPS using wine 0.9.24 0n Suse 10.2 and Cxoffice 6.0
Beta 3a . Cxoffice 5.03 does not work at all with my Suse 10.2 installation.

The Magellan road mate tools work well enough in both cxoffce beta and wine,
however wine seems to handle it better when importing POI ( Points of
Interest) files. Overall I think the wine included with Suse 10.2 is doing a
better job - ironic because I always used cxoffice because I thought it would
be more refined.

The only  configuration problem I still have is getting the program to
communicate with the Road Mate 3050T GPS.

as root I did :

modprobe  usbserial vendor=0x120f product=0x524d

afterwards dmesg produced:

usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for generic
usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core
ohci_hcd 0000:00:0c.0: wakeup
usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
usb 3-1: new device found, idVendor=120f, idProduct=524d
usb 3-1: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 3-1: Product: Magellan RoadMate USB Sync
usb 3-1: Manufacturer: MiTAC.
usbserial_generic 3-1:1.0: generic converter detected
usb 3-1: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB0

as root I did :

chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB0

as user I tried:

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0  ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1

Can you tell me how to get the Magellan gps to communicate with the windows
program running in wine? I have read several on line posts and it appears
wine users are  getting their programs to work with their attached GPS.
I really would like to be able to transfer POI files to and from my GPS, and
hate to buy a windows system just for that purpose. The Magellan program has
windows usb drivers included.

thanks in advance

joe