[Wine] Dune 2000 - no keyboard response - good rendering speed

Wiebe Cazemier halfgaar at gmx.net
Tue Jan 2 17:59:40 CST 2007

Hi,

I've installed Dune 2000 and the 1.06 patch in Wine, and it runs very well,
except that it doesn't accept keyboard input. It wasn't any better without the
patch. The entry at the appdb doesn't mention anything about it. Does anybody
know how to fix it?

I've already tried changing all the settings on the "graphics" tab
in "winecfg". Half-Life, for example, also didn't accept keyboard input
when "allow window manager to control window" was enabled. Disabling that
option worked for Half-Life, but not for Dune 2000.

Also, I noticed how incredibly fluent Dune 2000 rendered and responded. Every
other DirectDraw app I've tried is sluggish, even if only a little. Dune 2000
had none of that, and I'm very demanding in that regard, so I would have
noticed the slightest cursor lag. It felt just like running it in Windows. How
can it be that games like Starcraft and Red Alert run slowly, and Dune 2000
doesn't? Don't they all have the problem that they can't use DGA?
Additionally, I know that for Starcraft a depth conversion has to be done
(from 8 bit, to 24 in my case), but red alert and dune 2000 are both 16 bit,
so they both have to be converted to 24 first, which seems to slow red alert
down, but not Dune 2000.

I'm using wine 0.9.28.

Thanks in advance