[Wine] "Module not found", using wine-0.9.28

Paul Fox pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us
Tue Jan 9 12:18:30 CST 2007

thanks for the reply...

l.rahyen wrote:
 > Tuesday January 9 2007 16:29 Paul Fox wrote:
 > > trying with a more direct path the the executable gives a variation on the
 > > same theme:
 > >
 > >     $ ls /mnt
 > >     autorun.inf*  df0000exe.manifest*  taxcut.exe*          temporaryitems/
 > >     data/         dpro2006.exe*        taxcutapp/
 > >     df0000.exe*   taxcut/              taxcutexe.manifest*
 > >     $
 > >     $ WINEDEBUG=warn+all wine /mnt/taxcut.exe
 > >     warn:module:load_builtin_dll cannot open .so lib for builtin
 > > L"taxcut.exe": /usr/lib/wine/taxcut.exe.so: cannot open shared object file:
 > > No such file or directory warn:module:load_dll Failed to load module
 > > L"D:\\taxcut.exe"; status=c0000135 wine: could not load L"D:\\taxcut.exe":
 > > Module not found
 > >
 > > i can run other programs, which come with wine, successfully,
 > > e.g. winhlp.exe, and cmd.exe.
 >
 > 	Maybe you deleted Z: drive in winecfg? Run winecfg and see if you have it. Z:
 > drive should point to "/" - this is default after clean Wine installation.

winecfg says it's there, as does ls:
    $ ls -l .wine/dosdevices/
    total 0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 pgf pgf 10 Jan  9 09:50 c: -> ../drive_c/
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 pgf pgf  4 Jan  9 09:50 d: -> /mnt/
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 pgf pgf  9 Jan  9 09:50 d:: -> /dev/scd0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 pgf pgf  1 Jan  9 09:50 z: -> //

that second "d::" looks a little odd, but i assume it's intentional.
i've removed my .wine and let wine recreate it.

 > Also you can try to run programs like that:
 >
 > wine "D:\program.exe"
 >
 > 	Just place program.exe to ~/.wine/drive_c/ directory and try. Everything
 > should work: running from Windows path (last example) and Unix path (make
 > sure that you have Z: drive and if not repeir it as described above).

oh!  i got it.  (i think -- i don't have local access to the X
display at the moment, but i'm getting further than i did
before.)

thanks for suggesting that i copy the executable, which i wasn't
able to do.  it turns out my userid didn't have read access to
the contents of the cdrom mounted at /mnt.  remounting it with
"-o uid=pgf" has gotten me past that problem.

i'm a little surprised that the error messages weren't more explicit --
if i couldn't read the taxcut.exe that i was trying to run, i'd have
expected wine to complain far earlier than it seems to have.

(i now get an exception and stack dump, but i won't trouble the list
with that until i'm running on a real display.)

paul