[Wine] Running Windows Database Applications

Sam Fourman Jr. sfourman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 23:22:10 CST 2007

John,

I would take a good look at PostgreSQL, our company in in the process
of migrating from old foxpro apps to a PostgreSQL platform.
VFP is very much at the end of it's rope, Data corruption is a
nightmare, and security is not even thought about. do yourself a BIG
favor and look at open standards based software, that is well written.

I have had limited success running VFP apps in wine mostly GUI
problems, that most likely stem from the fact that foxpro was not a
Windows app to start with. wait windows are a constant source of
trouble in Wine. I also have ran a VFP app in wine and shared it with
samba, database locking is sometimes troublesome when accessing from a
remote station.

I hope this helps

Sam Fourman Jr.