[Wine] Wine wants OpenGL for everything... then fails

Eric P eric.maillist at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 22:15:18 CST 2007

Declan Moriarty wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 00:01 -0600, Eric P wrote:
>> Wine is hosed on my Ubuntu Edgy install. It was working fine on Dapper, and I'm not sure if I tested Wine since
>> upgrading to Edgy last month.
>>
>> Anyway, no matter what I try to run I get something like this (running notepad in this example) and the program fails to
>> launch:
>> $ notepad
>> wine: creating configuration directory '/home/dit/.wine'...
>> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
>> err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo  couldn't initialize OpenGL, expect problems
>> err:wgl:has_opengl Intialization of OpenGL info failed, disabling OpenGL!
>> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
>> err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo  couldn't initialize OpenGL, expect problems
>> err:wgl:has_opengl Intialization of OpenGL info failed, disabling OpenGL!
>> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
>> err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo  couldn't initialize OpenGL, expect problems
>> err:wgl:has_opengl Intialization of OpenGL info failed, disabling OpenGL!
>> Failed to open the service control manager.
>> err:wgl:X11DRV_wglGetProcAddress No libGL on this box - disabling OpenGL support !
>>
>> I don't run any kind of 3D acceleration, so I'm completely confused by this output. I've tried blowing away my ~/.wine
>> directory but to no avail.
>>
>> Any pointers would be very welcome.
>
> Just guessing (I would have to) but I would check the xorg.conf or
> XF86Config file and see what modules you are loading. Maybe one too few
> or one too many.

Thanks for your response.

I began digging around in my xorg.conf and checking some of my archived versions.  I did see the "glx" module had been
present in past files, so I put that back in.  However, the programs ran w/Wine would all freeze.

Actually, I fiddled around a lot (different video cards/config files), so I'm not sure what I did but Wine is working
again.  Sorry for anyone who stumbles on this thread.

Thanks all the same,
Eric P.