[Wine] WINE and USB access

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Sun Jul 15 18:41:17 CDT 2007

	Because your "USB" device don't require high bandwidth it is possible that
your USB device is usb-tty converter. If so then I will explain how to use it
with WINE and what should be done to make it work. If not then you cannot use
it with WINE.
	See configuration settings in the software, do you need to choose COM port
there? In Windows usb-tty converters are represented as COM-ports. So if your
program have such setting then there is good chanced it will work with WINE.
	But if your program don't using usb-tty converter and work with "true" USB
device directly - this will not work under WINE yet; in this case you need
something like QEmu (free) or VMWare (not-free) to use your software under
Linux.
	As an example, I have Samsung phone not supported under Linux and USB-data
cabel. But its USB cabel is actually a usb-tty converter so Windows software
for my phone works perfectly with WINE on Linux.