[Wine] Fwd: first time IE6 woes

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 15:25:29 CDT 2007

On 7/16/07, Duane Clark <fpga at pacbell.net> wrote:
> James Hawkins wrote:
> >> If your goal is to run ie6, I strongly suggest that you go to
> >> http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page
> >>
> >> Download and install that. It is much easier than trying to get ie6
> >> running yourself.
> >>

> > Please don't promote ies4linux on winehq mailing lists.  We already
> > have enough problems with that project as is.  The proper thing for
> > Richard to do is to file a bug report in winehq's bugzilla.  With your
> > suggestion, he'll happily install ies4linux, and we lose another
> > useful bug report.  Richard is certainly free to run any app he wants,
> > including ies4linux, especially as a workaround in the meantime, but
> > to shoo away every user that wants to run ie6 in Wine out of the box
> > is irresponsible and bad for the project.
>
> I have to disagree with you (and please keep in mind that I have been
> using Wine for 7 years and have a couple dozen patches committed). This
> is a user mailing list, and if the goal of a user is to run ie6, then we
> should help them to do that.
>
> For most applications, a bug report might be helpful. This is certainly
> not the case for ie6. This is a high profile application, and no
> additional bug reports are going to speed it along. If the goal of a
> user is to run ie6, I will continue to promote ies4linux, until such
> time as running it under Wine is not a pain in the butt. Because
> frankly, ies4linux is a very good program.

You miss the point entirely.  If such a program as ies4linux exists
and is promoted, then there is no incentive to fix entirely valid bugs
in Wine affecting ie6, bugs that probably also affect other
applications as well.  Promoting ies4linux helps no one in the long
run.  I don't even mind if you mention ies4linux as long as you make
it very clear that it is only a temporary workaround, and that a bug
report should be filed.  If you'll take a look at the backtrace
Richard posted, Wine is crashing in mshtml. This is a perfect
candidate for a bug report.  Searching through bugzilla with 'ie6' as
the title, there are 11 bug reports, none of which is similar to this
bug.  If you're still reading this Richard, the developers of the Wine
project would really appreciate if you could file a bug at [1] for
this problem.

[1] http://bugs.winehq.org

Thanks,
James Hawkins