[Wine] Re: Trying to get a cdwriter to write to loop device

Daniel Skorka skorka at gmx.net
Mon Mar 19 00:45:42 CDT 2007

nate <nrs27 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> [nate at blackbox ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/PowerISO]$ sudo wine
> C:\\Program\ Files\\PowerISO\\cdburn.exe Z:\\dev\\hdc
> Z:\\media\\usb1\\usarmy.daa
> fixme:ntdll:NtFsControlFile stub! return success - Unsupported fsctl
> 90018 (device=9 access=0 func=6 method=0)
> Error verifying ISO image
>
> Ok, so that didn't work (it terminated really quickly too). I wondered

You cannot use a windows program to burn a CD under wine because this
requires direct hardware access.

> if it could burn to a file instead... I wasn't too sure about this,

That would depend on the program...

> first I created a 1 Gig empty file:
> dd if=/dev/zero of=usarm.iso bs=1k count=1000000
> losetup /dev/loop0 usarm.iso
> mkdosfs -c /dev/loop0 1000000
> mount -t vfat /dev/loop0 mnt/

Why?

> [nate at blackbox ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/PowerISO]$ sudo wine
> C:\\Program\ Files\\PowerISO\\cdburn.exe Z:\\media\\usb1\\mnt
> Z:\\media\\usb1\\usarmy.daa
> Error 5 opening device \\.\Z:\media\usb1\mnt

cdburn expects a device (a CD writer), no a filesystem.

> I added a link to /dev/hdc using winecfg, then tried again (it should be
> eqivalent to Z:\\dev\\hdc, right?).

No. Once you are inside wine, a device file looses most of its meaning.

> I also tried creating a iso9660 image to let cdburn write to. However,
> that did not work, and I found out that iso9660 is strictly read-only
> anyway.

Have you tried 'wine cdburn.exe foo.iso usarmy.daa', where foo is a file
that does not yet exist?

Daniel