[Wine] Re: Problem with WAVE_FORMAT_ADPCM sound files

michal mich_r at o2.pl
Mon Mar 19 00:45:43 CDT 2007

Daniel Skorka wrote:
> michal <mich_r at o2.pl> wrote:
> > and wine outputs the following to the console:
> >
> > wodOpen unimplemented format: WAVE_FORMAT_ADPCM
> [...]
> > those waves with mplayer with no problems, and it said it is in the
> > MSADPCM format:
> >
> > So could anybody tell me what's wrong here so I can't play the files
> > under wine (and how to make it work). Please help, my wife is learning
>
> Are you using ALSA? Appearantly, ADPCM in combination with ALSA is not
> yet supported in wine. Try using OSS, the OSS emulation layer of ALSA
> or ESD.

I tried ESD and OSS settings in winecfg - there is no "unimplemented
format" message with them but no sound is played also. I tested this
settings with another application and there sound is working with OSS
and ESD. Only if I use "aoss wine appname.exe" there is no sound in
both applications (OSS selected in winecfg).

I enabled debug mode (export WINEDEBUG=warn+all) and now I see the
following in the console (with ESD selected):
warn:wave:wodOpen Bad format: tag=0002 nChannels=1 nSamplesPerSec=22050
!
warn:wave:wodOpen Bad format: tag=0002 nChannels=1 nSamplesPerSec=22050
!
(...)7x the same line as above
warn:wavemap:wodOpen ret = WAVERR_BADFORMAT

And with OSS selected:
warn:wave:supportedFormat only WAVE_FORMAT_PCM and
WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE supported
warn:wave:wodOpen Bad format: tag=0002 nChannels=1 nSamplesPerSec=22050
!
warn:wavemap:wodOpen ret = WAVERR_BADFORMAT

Any hope with this?