[Wine] Re: Running Wbid Under Wine

Daniel Skorka skorka at gmx.net
Mon Mar 19 00:45:48 CDT 2007

joshua.brehm at gmail.com wrote:
> thanks for the test and the information. I put mfc42.dll in
> .wine/drive_c/windows/system32 but the installation is still hanging
> just short of completing. I'm running wine ver. 0.9.19 as well under
> Ubuntu Dapper on a Toshiba Portege 3110ct.
>
> This is what I get for error messages:
> ~/.wine/drive_c$ wine wbs30r10.exe
> fixme:ole:ITypeInfo_fnRelease destroy child objects
> err:ole:get_unmarshaler_from_stream Failed to read common OBJREF
> header, 0x00000001
> fixme:ole:NdrClearOutParameters (0x7e02a020,0x7c4212,0x7e02a154): stub
> fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "TITLE_CAPTIONBAR" of other
> process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
> fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "WBid - InstallShield Wizard" of
> other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
> fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "TITLE_CAPTIONBAR" of other
> process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
> fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "WBid - InstallShield Wizard" of
> other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
> fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "TITLE_CAPTIONBAR" of other
> process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
> fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "WBid - InstallShield Wizard" of
> other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
> Would I be correct in assuming that the last one is the one that's
> causing the problem?

As I already explained, 'fixme' messages do _not_ relate to serious
problems. If your program hangs or crashes, it is nothing to do with a
'fixme'.
Now, please try the following:
$ mv ~/.wine ~/out_of_the_way
$ winecfg
$ cp ~/out_of_the_way/drive_c/windows/system32/mfc42.dll \
~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
$ cp ~/out_of_the_way/drive_c/wbs30r10.exe ~/.wine/drive_c
$ cd ~/.wine/drive_c && wine wbs30r10.exe

Exactly this method works without a hitch here. If it doesn't for you,
I would either question the origin of your wine package (where exactly
did you get it from?), or the reliability of your system.

Daniel