[Wine] How come wine doesn't improve?

Darren Wilkinson spamtrap at spamtrap.spamtrap
Mon Mar 19 00:46:25 CDT 2007

Tony Pursell wrote:
> On 17 Jun 2006 at 15:25, Philipp Klaus Krause wrote:
>
>> Even though wine versions get released often and the weekly
>> newsletters seem to report progress I get the impression that wine is
>> not really improving. Of course it happens that some applications work
>> with newer wine versions which didn't work with older ones, but at the
>> same time old applications stop working. Is it only me that gets the
>> impression that wine only changes over time, but doesn't improve?

File a bug report. If you know the wine version that broke your app or use
binary packages to find out regression testing can be quite quick.

> I get the same impression, but I have to realise that I have my own
> agenda - i.e I want to get a few Windows apps working reliably in Wine
> on a long term basis so I can migrate to Linux completely.  My 'killer'
> apps are MS Money 2004 (which currently is broken) and a UK tax
> calculation package (which I have only just started to look at under
> Wine).
>
> However, I get the impression that games get a lot more attention and
> excite the devlopers more than my boring business apps.  I can't
> complain.  Except for the contributions of Codeweavers, all the
> developers are volunteers and we cannot (must not) make them feel
> obliged to sort out our specific problems.
>
> Tony

If there isn't a bug report for your app then file one. Bugzilla is there for a
reason. BTW I've got the impression that games get less attention but maybe I'm
wrong.