[Wine] "Module not found"

roboknight roboknight at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:46:40 CDT 2007

I'm trying to run a program called GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)
under Wine.  Most of it runs, however, as part of its normal operation
it creates a batch file, BABEL.BAT, to communicate with a GPS using
GPSBabel.  I've run GPSBabel by itself under wine and it works.  I've
run the batchfile by hand and *THAT* works (under wcmd).  However, I've
since discovered that when GSAK tries to execute BABEL.BAT (GSAK is a
delphi program which uses something similar to VBs ShellExecute to run
batch files), wine looks for cmd.exe to run and fails to find it.  I
tried to correct this by linking cmd.exe to wcmd.exe to execute,
because I figured setting COMSPEC wouldn't be enough as GSAK is looking
for cmd.exe not wcmd.exe, with the following results:

wine: could not load L"C:\\windows\\cmd.exe": Module not found

I then tried a few other .exe files in the windows directory under
wcmd, such as winhlp32.exe, and I produced similar results.

So the question is this:  Is there something I might be missing in the
configuration that would cause that error?  I feel I might have missed
something in the configuration because under the shell, several .EXEs
produce this behavior, but when running "wine prog.exe" they don't
exhibit this behavior.  Or maybe there is something else I need to make
subshells function properly?  At this point I'm stumped as to where to
look because I've seen several references to problems which at first
appear to be similar then aren't.

I may, of course, need to turn on some additional debugging to figure
out what else is going on there, and if someone can suggest some (I've
used trace+comm for serial, plus trace+exec to track this down, plus
trace+relay...) I'll post the results.
Now I'm running version 0.9.15 of wine because GSAK won't run on
anything past 0.9.16 (In otherwords, I could upgrade to 0.9.16 maybe,
but at this point no farther because GSAK causes a terrible execption
in later versions... that's my next task to fix)... So upgrading really
isn't an option.

Any help I receive will be appreciated.  Thanks.
bpw.