[Wine] Re: Again...

Daniel Skorka skorka at gmx.net
Mon Mar 19 00:47:10 CDT 2007

Hladir <brunnmer at yahoo.de> wrote:
> Newbie trying to install wine in his Mac OSX, getting the old annoying
> message,
>
> home:~/Desktop/wine G3$ /Users/G3/Desktop/wine/tools/wineinstall
> WINE Installer v0.75
>
> Running configure...
>
> configure: creating cache config.cache
> checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.7.0
> checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.7.0
> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cl.exe... no
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> See `config.log' for more details.
>
> Configure failed, aborting install.
>
> Had seen this message before, bot never for OSX... tried to find the cc
> and gcc files with
>
> sudo apt-get install gcc

MacOSX has apt-get? Interesting...

> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> E: Couldn't find package gcc

What about 'apt-cache search gcc'? Or 'apt-cache search compiler'?

> have tried
>
> home:~/Desktop/wine G3$ which gcc
> home:~/Desktop/wine G3$ which cc
> home:~/Desktop/wine G3$ echo $PATH
> /sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin
>
> and nothing happened...

Given the configure output, that was obvious.

> What can I do?
>
> Someone said I must install this damn C compiler...
>
> if there's no other way out, do somebody know a free one, at least?

Uh, yes you need a compiler to compile something. gcc is as free as it
gets.
You do realize that the only point of wine on PowerPC is to run winelib
programs specially compiled for PowerPC (though they should come
packaged with wine) or to compile something yourself with winelib?

Daniel