[Wine] Re: Problems with Steam (counter-strike)

Stegozor stegozor at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:47:32 CDT 2007

Jc wrote:

>> What's wineboot? First time I hear about it.
>
> Wineboot is a program that simulates a windows startup (...)

Thank you. I'll google for wineboot.

>> I just added winehq repository to synaptic and downloaded 0.9.20 from
>> there (after having fully removed previous version of wine) and ran
>> SteamInstall.exe. Once the install is finished, Steam is unable to
>> update itself (the updating... windows appears, but stays so, without
>> any counter). When I quit it with Ctrl-C and then launch steam.exe, it
>> updates itself correctly and I get usual Steam login window, but without
>> any text on it. Just the green thingy.
>
> The lack of text is probably the easiest problem to fix. You need to
> get fonts! Yes, by default wine has no fonts to use! I just downloaded
> a Tahoma.ttf and placed it in drive_c\windows\fonts. Use this search to
> find a font!

That's surrealistic! Why didn't I notice any message telling that I
should get the font separately? Anyway, now that I installed it (in
~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts) things are a lot better: it works ! :)

Installation was a bit strange, and right now, although I installed
MozillaControl1712-ReactOS.exe, I don't see the browsed content. The
main steam window can't be minimized (freezes everything) so I close it
or use directly the cs shorcut, and BTW I have what I wanted: frags !

All that with the 0.9.21 wine package from winehq repository and with
the default video card driver (didn't need to download anything from
ATI). Although I don't think it is necessary I also installed the
libwine dummy package.

> I suspect you might also have problems when you start up the game for
> the first time. I right clicked on the game in STEAM and chose launch
> properties and used the settings i found online to set up the game for
> my pc (resolution, windowed, direct x level).
>
> Hope this helps.

Sure it helps, I'm having my first head shots under GNU/Linux. Thanks a
lot :)