[Wine] Toshiba's ConfigFree under Wine?

Sylvain Robitaille syl at alcor.concordia.ca
Mon Mar 19 00:47:49 CDT 2007

Hello ...

I have been trying to install Toshiba's ConfigFree software under
Wine-0.9.21 (Adam Schreiber's pre-built package For Slackware-10.2) on a
laptop running Slackware Linux (10.2), and I keep running into trouble.

I have made sure to run winecfg before starting, so I think I should be
ready to go.  The installer ("setup.exe") starts, and the dialog boxes
appear to respond as expected, until at one point an error box shows up
with the message "Failed to install a protocol."  I'm unable to find any
evidence that any part of the software was installed.

This software is expected to run on Windows 2000 or Windows XP, and I
have tried both settings in winecfg, with no difference in behaviour
(setting wine to mimic Windows 2003, however, results in ConfigFree's
setup.exe reporting that the OS is unsupported, so I do know that my
attempts at changing this setting have been properly written).

I think I should admit that I'm not at all familiar with Windows systems
and how they operate: I'm a unix/Linux systems analyst and can work very
comfortably in these environments, but I haven't used MS-Windows (of any
vintage) in more than 10 years.  The laptop I'm trying to install
ConfigFree on does not have a Windows installation (nor am I interested
in adding one, if I can avoid it).

Can anyone offer advice regarding where I should be looking to try and
resolve this problem?  Has anyone successfully installed and used this
software with Wine?

Thanks for any helpful responses (heck, thanks just for reading this
far!)

Sylvain Robitaille                              syl at alcor.concordia.ca

Systems and Network analyst                       Concordia University
Instructional & Information Technology        Montreal, Quebec, Canada